(If you care about SP if not this doesn't matter) Yes it's actually Leona writing this but anyway go to evilminionplans.blogspot.com ! Musicals are awesome! :D
Hi Ann! you asked about target shoot, i'll give you a 101 :)
the easiest thing to do would be to take it to a shooting range. If you aren't a member and need to be guested then ask someone who is a member and they should be cool with it. If you want to shoot it on your property then find a clear, mostly flat area. It should be about 50 ft long and have some sort of backer. A really big pile of dirt (or manure, i suppose that would work :P) works really well, but you NEED to be sure that the bullet won't hit anyone or anything. NEVER fire in the detection of people, animals, or property. Even if you only have a .22 caliber then you need to make sure that you have a stop because those things CAN kill you. Another word on backers, my dad made one of 1/2 inch plywood and sand. he basically made a wood box and filled it with sand and then chained it upright to a tree. it works really well. once you have the backer all set and are POSITIVE that there is NOTHING behind the backer for at LEAST 500 feet, send all young children and animals inside and fire away. MAKE SURE NO ONE OR NOTHING IS BEHIND, NEAR, OR IN THE LINE OF FIRE!!! the last thing you want to do is shoot someone! Really the easiest thing to do is to get someone to take you to the range. If you feel like coming to the east cost then you can come to my range :)
There are a couple rifle ranges within 20 miles, but I know nothing about them. And there's an indoor range about an hour away - so that's about three hours I need to figure out what to do with the kids. Building a target does sound more complicated than I expected, though. :-P
I've seen pictures of some made out of banks of straw bales - not sure how many thick or what was behind them, though - looked like a pretty flat area. Sand is better? How big was the box your dad made?
My property is probably 700ft on the longest side, and just over 200 the other way. I am on a hill, though, so was hoping I could put something (bales? sand?) in front of the hillside.
Gun is a 38, if that affects how much room I need.
Oh, yeah - shall I just pop over to New England, then? I bet you're a fantastic teacher!
hmm, i don't really have much experience with anything over .22 (heck, i don't even do much pistol shooting) so i'm at a bit of a loss now. Are we talking about those big bales of hay that are covered in white plastic and look like marshmallows or the smaller bales? If the hill have a sharp enough angle then a few bales of hay will work just fine in front of it. The only way sand works is when there is a LOT of it in a small space, very compact and dense. The target my dad made probably weights close to 300 lbs. If you want pics and stuff i'll get them and make a post on TEGI for you, I'd say your best bet is the range.
Sorry Mom please don't be super upset! *hides*
ReplyDeleteHi Ann! you asked about target shoot, i'll give you a 101 :)
ReplyDeletethe easiest thing to do would be to take it to a shooting range. If you aren't a member and need to be guested then ask someone who is a member and they should be cool with it. If you want to shoot it on your property then find a clear, mostly flat area. It should be about 50 ft long and have some sort of backer. A really big pile of dirt (or manure, i suppose that would work :P) works really well, but you NEED to be sure that the bullet won't hit anyone or anything. NEVER fire in the detection of people, animals, or property. Even if you only have a .22 caliber then you need to make sure that you have a stop because those things CAN kill you. Another word on backers, my dad made one of 1/2 inch plywood and sand. he basically made a wood box and filled it with sand and then chained it upright to a tree. it works really well. once you have the backer all set and are POSITIVE that there is NOTHING behind the backer for at LEAST 500 feet, send all young children and animals inside and fire away.
MAKE SURE NO ONE OR NOTHING IS BEHIND, NEAR, OR IN THE LINE OF FIRE!!! the last thing you want to do is shoot someone!
Really the easiest thing to do is to get someone to take you to the range. If you feel like coming to the east cost then you can come to my range :)
wow, long comment @_@ if you have any questions then tell me! i don't want anyone getting hurt because of unclear instructions!
ReplyDeleteThank you Lizzy!
ReplyDeleteThere are a couple rifle ranges within 20 miles, but I know nothing about them. And there's an indoor range about an hour away - so that's about three hours I need to figure out what to do with the kids. Building a target does sound more complicated than I expected, though. :-P
I've seen pictures of some made out of banks of straw bales - not sure how many thick or what was behind them, though - looked like a pretty flat area. Sand is better? How big was the box your dad made?
My property is probably 700ft on the longest side, and just over 200 the other way. I am on a hill, though, so was hoping I could put something (bales? sand?) in front of the hillside.
Gun is a 38, if that affects how much room I need.
Oh, yeah - shall I just pop over to New England, then? I bet you're a fantastic teacher!
hmm, i don't really have much experience with anything over .22 (heck, i don't even do much pistol shooting) so i'm at a bit of a loss now.
ReplyDeleteAre we talking about those big bales of hay that are covered in white plastic and look like marshmallows or the smaller bales? If the hill have a sharp enough angle then a few bales of hay will work just fine in front of it. The only way sand works is when there is a LOT of it in a small space, very compact and dense. The target my dad made probably weights close to 300 lbs. If you want pics and stuff i'll get them and make a post on TEGI for you,
I'd say your best bet is the range.