My brother gave me tickets to see U2 a couple Christmases ago - concert was supposed to be last summer, but was rescheduled for yesterday because, apparently, Bono hurt his back. Training for the concert. I don't even know how that happens.
I hadn't seen them in 22 or 23 years. Last album I bought was Rattle and Hum, on vinyl. Hmm. Wonder what happened to my record collection? Not that it would do me any good now. Hmm. Wonder what happened to my record player? Can you even buy those now?
I realize you guys are probably as excited about this as I would have been had my mom announced she was going to see the Rolling Stones in the early 80s. Course I like them now...
Anyway. I've had this recurring dream - not often, maybe a few times a year, for a few years, maybe a decade - where I meet the band. I was worried it might actually happen. Not that meeting them wouldn't be neat (though seriously, what would I say? I don't know anything about music or saving the world, so not like we'd have much in common) but I think having the dream come true would set a bad precedent. I mean, I have lots of recurring dreams. They all suck. And if one came true, maybe more would start coming true... do I really want the recurring tornadoes of my dreams to be true? Or the recurring dystopian city? The recurring misplacing of my younger child? So, on the whole, relieved.
So, yeah, my favorite band back when I had a favorite band, which was a long time ago. They've changed! Little Larry is all growed up! He's... kind of hot now. When did that happen? Edge was always my favorite, though... trying to find a good illustration of why - hard to catch in a still shot, though I saw it a few times during the show.
Boys, girls, young men and women: pay attention. This smile? This is what catches hearts. Well, and it doesn't hurt to play a guitar just like ringin' a bell, either. :-D
He's all gray now, or at least his facial hair is. I assume he's pretty much bald now; haven't seen him without a hat since the 80s. I read fairly recently where someone said he dances like a girl. My first reaction was, oh, that explains a lot.... Second was, wait, what does that even mean, anyway? Are they implying girls can't dance? *scowls* And then I see him on stage hopping up and down like a teenybopper. Ok. To be fair, I think he concentrates more on playing... also their music isn't especially danceable. Er. But the opening band's was! Lenny Kravitz. Didn't know who that was, but I knew the music, so.
Anyways, the show was amazing. Crazy extravagant - I mean O.o can't even imagine what that all cost. I kind of wanted to be appalled, but it seems rather... tongue-in-cheek for them, and fanservicey, and the whole thing was pretty much a big promo for Amnesty International and ONE, and I can't fault that.
Writerly folks who are reading this - if anyone does read this - you might be interested in Amnesty International. It's basically writing letters, I think. You can exercise the persuasive powers of your keyboard for a better world!
The stage... set-up... thing, however, was the most hideous monstrous offspring of a giant arachnid and a satellite you could imagine. I'm having trouble finding pictures that convey the sheer ugliness.
The little thing at the top? Disco ball. I'm not even kidding. Check it out:
I need a top view... here we go.
Even as much of a hermit as I am, ie, a lot, it was fun. I mean, normally sharing space with 70,000 other people isn't my idea of a good time, but I'll admit it is kind of cool when they're all singing the same song at the same time.
And "Beautiful Day" has been going through my head all day, which I don't mind at all.
So, many thanks to my favorite brother (anyone who can guess how many brothers I have gets a prize*!) for the tickets, and my parents for babysitting until 2am when they thought it would be more like 11:30pm, and whoever worked for my husband yesterday so he could go. :-D
Oh, and:
On your knees, boy.
*Prize to be determined at a later date, and may or may not include cookies or noogies or both. Play at your own risk; blog author not to be held responsible for any loss or injury.

Huh. Wow. Is it... Three?
ReplyDeleteLOL Wow! Crazy-ness, huh? But it does sound pretty epica anyway :D
ReplyDeleteAnd I'm glad it was fun :]
Ok ummm 1?
I'm guessing that 'cause I'm the only daughter of my family and my dad calls me his favorite daughter :P
So I'm betting you do the same ;}
~hopes for cookies~
@ Ev, when I got that comment I thought you were referring to the time. If that's your guess about my brothers... you're wrong. XD Sorry!
ReplyDelete@ Skyril,
ReplyDeleteYeah, it was a blast. I'd do it again. Not every day... maybe every year. Every other year?
also, YOU WIN! My grandma always called me her favorite granddaughter. Course it was just me and 3 grandsons. XD
*brandishes brass-knuckled oven mitt* Your prize will be coming up shortly!
@ Kallista,
ReplyDeleteYou make me smile. That is all.
I thankfully don't have anywhere close to 5 brothers, but I'm going to give you a cookie, anyway. *hands Kallista a chocolate chip raisin oatmeal m&m cookie with sprinkles on it*